Daily IAS Current Affairs May 13, 2020 | PendulumIAS
General Studies-III- Issues related to IPR
1. Thanjavur Netti Works and Arumbavur Wood Carvings gets GI Tag
The Geographical Indications Registry has awarded the Geographical Indication (GI) Tag to the Thanjavur Netti Works and Arumbavur Wood carvings.
Thanjavur Netti Works:
The application was filed by Tamil Nadu Handicrafts Development Corporation (Poompuhar).
- The Netti works is a traditional art developed using pith which is obtained from netti. Netti is a hydrophyte plant named Aeschynomene aspera.
- Hydrophytic plants are found in Pudukullam and Kallaperumber lake which are surrounded with marshy land.
- Some of the notable works are models of Brihadishwara Temple, door hangings, Hindu idols, etc.
Arumbavur Wood Carving:
Poompuhar in association with the Arumbavur Wood Carvers’ Handicrafts Industrial Cooperative Society Limited and the Arumbavur Temple Car and Woodcarving Artisans Welfare Society filed the application for Arumbavur Wood carving.
- Wooden logs of Indian siris, lingam tree, mango, Indian ash tree, neem tree, rosewood, etc. are mainly used in the making the wood carvings.
- The sculptures of Lord Krishna, Goddess Saraswati, Lord Shiva, temple chariots, along with motifs, etc can be found in Arumbavur Wood Carvings.
Recently, Sohrai Khovar paintings of Jharkhand and Telia Rumal of Telangana have also received the GI Tag.